Sunday, October 4, 2009

Spiral of particles


This script was actualy my first assignment for Joe`s class Programing MEL. The task was pretty simple. A procedure that creates some kind of expression driven particles. Well... there are variety of things one could do. Instead of just making a script that on execution creates some kind of splines i made it a little more complicated by giving the user the option to choose the curve. Later on I decided to practice a little with the MEL GUI creation so I wrapped up that ugly interface. It is not actually a big deal although a lot of people told me that GUI in maya is pain in the ass. It is actually pretty simple. So what the script does is (in nutshell):

  • Looks for selected curves
  • Offsets the crves and turns the construction history on.
  • defines the way particles will move
  • stores that in a string
  • apllies it it to the creation and runtime expression part of the emitters
  • masks all that behing the GUI. 

Sorry for not being extensive on that but I was working ot the thing for a week or so and I don want to even talk about it anymore.. What is better I am giving you out the source code of my hard work. Everything is commented. Feel free to use it for whatever..

No comments:

Post a Comment